Wednesday 31 May 2023

Turning the Tables

A friend of mine told me that she'd recently bought a new coffee table.

I didn't know how to respond. I mean, what do you say? My brain went into 'freeze' mode for a moment. No bloke will ever know how to respond to that piece of information... ever.

I guess I could have said... "What’s a ‘coffee' table? Is that a table that you only put coffee on? Do furniture stores sell tables exclusively for other beverages? Can you purchase a hot chocolate table or a tea table? Maybe tea tables could be sub-divided into, for example, an Earl Grey table or a Lapsang Souchong table? Would that work? How about a beer table, a wine table or even a gin and tonic table? Can you buy any of those?" 

But I kept my thoughts to myself. Probably best. 

As for coffee tables, I don't have one. I use the only table I have in a multi-beverage sort of way with no startling or surprising outcomes. And anyway, even if there were beverage specific tables available, my home isn’t large enough to accommodate that many possibilities. 

I'm glad she hasn't bought a work table... yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment